Fletcher's Ham Croque Madame
The Croque Madame is one of the most decadent, delicious, crowd-pleasing sandwiches of all time. So, we took the classic, added our signature Fletcher's ham goodness (choose your favorite!) and made it batch-able and easy to make for a brunchtime crowd. Bon appetit! Serves 6.
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- Dijon mustard (enough to coat)
- 12 slices Fletcher’s ham (choose your favorite)
- 4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 6 over-easy fried eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Place 6 slices of bread on a baking sheet and spread with a small amount of Dijon mustard on each slice. Top each slice with 2 slices of ham (or more if desired) and sprinkle with about a tablespoon of cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 4 minutes. Whisk in the milk, and stir until it thickens. Add in the nutmeg and 1 cup of cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauce from heat and pour the mixture over the sandwiches. Top the sandwiches with equal amounts of the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil until the sandwiches are golden brown and the cheese is slightly browned and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve.